The first Dikker & Co Shop was founded in 1895 by Mr. A.W. Dikker and soon became famous in Amsterdam and the rest of Holland for its high quality. Henri Thijs became a partner in 1915 after being the assistant to the famous French chef Auguste Escoffier. They opened their first shop in the Kalverstraat and in 1921 the majestic building situated on the corner of the Prinsengracht & Leidsestraat became the new address of Dikker & Thijs. Here they became famous for selling oysters, lobsters, and caviar.
In May 2011 the completely renovated restaurant THIJS was opened by the present owners of Dikker & Thijs Fenice Hotel. They took over of the hotel in 1995 after the Bilderberg-group had left. This happened exactly 100 years after Dikker & Thijs took over the business of J.C. van Laar in the Kalverstaat. With the opening of restaurant THIJS a long culinary tradition is being continued and the restaurant has reopened its doors for everyone who loves good food.